News & Events
Kudos For General Excellence
I’m an engineer in the Properties Division of the National Office of the Boys Scouts of America. I do enjoy your magazine and get quite a lot out of it.
Consulting Engineer, BSA
SylvanSport Opens Online Store
Cedar Mountain, N.C.–SylvanSport announces the opening of its online store, featuring GO, Mobile Adventure Gear camper. From an auxiliary awning kit to reclining camp chairs or storage containers, the SylvanSport store provides a one-stop-shopping experience appropriate for optimizing the camping experience. For more information, visit www.SylvanSport.com.
Six Tips For Safer Home Swimming Pools and Hot Tubs
Colorado Springs, Colo.–The American Red Cross and National Swimming Pool Foundation want all pool and hot tub owners to make safety their priority by following these safety guidelines:
1. Secure your pool with appropriate barriers. Completely surround it pool with a 4-foot high fence or barrier with a self-closing, self-latching gate. Install alarms on any doors leading to the pool that sound when opened unexpectedly. Place a safety cover on the pool or hot tub when not in use and remove any ladders or steps used for access. Consider installing a pool alarm that goes off if anyone enters the pool.
2. Keep children under active supervision at all times. Stay in arm’s reach of young children. Designate a responsible person to watch the water when people are in the pool—never allow anyone to swim alone. Have young or inexperienced swimmers wear a U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
3. Ensure everyone in the home knows how to swim well by enrolling them in age-appropriate water orientation and learn-to-swim courses.
4. Keep pool or hot tub water clean and clear. Use proper chemical levels, circulation and filtration. Regularly test and adjust the chemical levels to minimize the risk of earaches, rashes or more serious diseases.
5. Establish and enforce rules and safe behaviors, such as “no diving,” “stay away from drain covers,” “swim with a buddy” and “walk please.”
6. Ensure everyone in the home knows how to respond to aquatic emergencies by having appropriate safety equipment and taking water safety, first aid and CPR courses.
Learn about Red Cross and NSPF at www.redcross.org and www.nspf.org.
K&K Insurance launches New Web Site
Fort Wayne, Ind.–K&K Insurance Group, Inc. announces the launch of a new Web site to provide online quoting and binding capabilities for sports camps and clinics. It provides an option to purchase coverage immediately using a credit card. The provider of sports, leisure and entertainment insurance programs is a supplier of coverage to the sports and recreation industry. The program is designed to meet the insurance needs of U.S.-based youth sports camp operations or sports clinics that are held at premises not owned or maintained by the sport camp operator. The program offers commercial general liability; legal liability to participants; medical payments for participants; and hired auto and employers’ non-ownership liability. For more information, call (800) 637-4757, or visit www.campinsurance-kk.com.
9-12 Great Rivers Fall Conference, Ashland, Neb.—Carol Joy Holling Camp and Conference Center; www.acagreatrivers.org
16-18 Heart of the South Fall Conference, Burns, Tenn.—Montgomery Bell State Park; www.acaheartofthesouth.org
12-14 Southwest Camp Conference, Hunt, Texas—Mo Ranch Camp and Conference Center; www.acatexoma.org
20-22 Indiana Parks & Recreation Association Conference, West Lafayette, Ind.—Purdue Memorial Union; www.acaindiana.org
28 Ohio Camping Conference, Columbus, Ohio—Nationwide & Ohio Farm Bureau 4-H Center The Ohio State University; www.acaohio.org
16-19 ACA National Conference, Denver, Colo.—Denver Hyatt; www.acacamps.org